The Slaugham Archives

Police and Emergency Services

PC Steve Message For much of the last century a succession of resident police officers were stationed in the Police H...
PC Steve Message in the garden at the Police House PC Steve Message is seen here standing in the garden of the Police House wearing yet another style o...
PC David Pearce PC Siggs took over from Steve Message in 1953 and on retirement moved to Newhaven. He was followed...
PC Thomas Holden, Handcross policeman Glimpses of PC Thomas Holden have already been seen in some of the pictures 85 to 94 showing the wed...
Snow clearance at Staplefield Following a very heavy snowfall a few days earlier, on 15th January 1987 in freezing temperatures PC...
Heavy snow in Staplefield Helping PC David Pearce and SC Les Phillips was Les’s “sniffer” dog, Bella, who was happy to p...
Abandoned car in snow drift “Is there anyone in there?” Walking from Staplefield to Warninglid, PC David Pearce and Spec...
Handcross Police Station in the snow The Police House in Handcross was one of a terrace of three constructed by Stephen Knight, builders ...
Handcross Police Station The Police House and office served the community for 69 years. In common with virtually all rural p...
Plane landed on Handcross golf course In 1896 West Park Golf Club was founded and the course was located about half a mile down Coos Lane ...
Chownes Mead maternity unit The large country house of Chownes Mead, being located between Cuckfield and Haywards Heath, is a fe...
Cycling AA Patrolman from Handcross My grandfather, Frederick "Bob" Stoner, lived in Nashlands Cottages, Handcross and had many jobs in ...

Latest Pics

Handcross School centenary - Sideshows (6 of 13)Handcross School centenary- Painting (5 of 13)Handcross School centenary Maypole dance (4 of 13)Handcross School centenary - Pupils ring (3 of 13)Handcross School centenary - Bell rings (2 of 13)Handcross School centenary photograph (1 of 13)Handcross School netball team 1978Video of Handcross Hill - 21st Century versionHandcross HillAuction sale of Waringlid houses in 1973