The Slaugham Archive
Barry Ray Year: 1994 Villages: HandcrossLord Snowdon announces plans for Nymans (1 of 2)
At Nymans in June 1994, Lord Snowdon presented to the gathered media a preview of the opening of several rooms in the house to the public due to commence in 1996.
The article contains a error in that the National Trust took over Nymans forty years before, and not thirty as stated in the newspaper.
The Large Version shows a copy of the article in the Mid Sussex Times.
Select Open Document to view two extracts of a map of 1873.
The first shows the northern part of the Nymans lake with its feeding stream, Foxhole Gill, extending northwards towards the High Beeches estate. Just north of “Jack Reeding’s Wood” can be seen the old quarry, reputably the site of the highwayman’s cave. See picture #1450 for further details.
The second shows Old House, Lord Snowdon’s country home for many years and which he refers to in the aforementioned newspaper article. The lake was one of many similar artificial lakes built for the Sussex iron industry and the site of the furnace is shown just south of the lake.
View Large Version
Picture added on 19 November 2015 at 20:25
This picture is in the following groups