The Slaugham Archive
Barry Ray Year: 1787 Villages: HandcrossOriginal Ashfold House, Handcross
The watercolour sketch by S. H. Grimm is of the original Ashfold house, described as a Jacobean mansion refaced in the 18th century, adding that it shows “Mr Granger’s House, near Slaugham Green, 1787”.
In 1875, Eric Carrington Smith, a grandson of George II, commissioned the architect, George Devey (1820-1886), to build large additions to the mansion and add a lodge and cottages to the estate.
These works were executed between 1875 and 1884 by the builder John Adcock of Dover and Wheatland.
RIBA retains 21 plans and elevations of Devey’s commission at Ashfold.,
The Large Version shows a close up.
View Large Version
Picture added on 21 June 2018 at 08:44
This picture is in the following groups