The Slaugham Archive
Barry Ray Year: 1939 Villages: HandcrossPublic library in Handcross
The first library in Handcross was started by Slaugham Parish Council and Councillor Victor Kensett (1864-1933) shopkeeper of Slaugham, was in charge.
Mrs Ellen Botting of the High Street, Handcross was the first librarian. Later Mrs Funnell took over and remained librarian for about 23 years, until 1933, when the old library ceased to function. Under s.19 of the 1919 Public Libraries Act the Parish Council relinquished its powers and duties as a library authority, and the tasks were taken on by East Sussex County Library.
The old library was housed in the Working Men’s Club, now named The Old Clubhouse in the High Street. When the County Library took over, the library was housed in the old pavilion in the Recreation Ground.
In 1960, Slaugham Parish Council considered that the existing wooden building was inadequate and the County Librarian was approached to provide a brick-built library.
The books were let out twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 3.00pm to 4.00pm. There was no charge unless books were kept longer than two weeks.
In about 1936 Mrs Nellie Hobden of 4, Redgate Cottages became librarian but she was made redundant in 1976 when the library was closed to be replaced by a mobile library. (See picture #671)
Select Open Document to view the three pages of the well-used register of borrowers from around 1939.
Picture added on 23 June 2019 at 19:58
This picture is in the following groups