The Slaugham Archive
Barry Ray Year: 1890 Villages: StaplefieldStaplefield Common
The view of Staplefield Common from the tradesmen’s entrance of Staplefield Place was certainly more open around 1900 but extensive tree planting since has changed the vista significantly. St Mark’s church can clearly be seen through the gap between the post office stores on the extreme left and the white gables of Pear Tree Cottage. The house on the extreme right is Dorcas Cottage and further details are attached to picture #297. The cricket pitch was fenced off to prevent those cattle which were permitted to graze on the common, encroaching onto the hallowed turf. A group of three adults and about seven children are enjoying a casual stroll.
Picture added on 23 June 2012 at 10:00
This picture is in the following groups