The Slaugham Archive
Barry Ray Year: 1930 Villages: HandcrossNymans Handcross from the gardens
Nymans house was altered substantially after the Great War by Colonel Leonard Messel who succeeded to the estate from Ludvig Messel in 1915. The ten year project converted what was essentially a Victorian building to a grand mansion largely having the appearance of a building from the Tudor period enhanced by several elaborate extensions. All went well for a couple of decades but on 19th February 1947 Nymans caught fire and, despite the efforts of seventy firemen, was largely destroyed as was the bulk of the antique furniture, paintings and other treasures.
Picture added on 29 January 2012 at 14:12
This picture is in the following groups