The Slaugham Archive
Barry Ray Year: 1905 Villages: WarninglidFree Chase, Warninglid
The original Free Chase house was built in 1880 by Lady Louisa Charteris whose sister lived at Lydhurst. Around the turn of the century, the estate was acquired by Sir George Allen who was responsible for many improvements to the house and he also largely created the gardens.
Click on Open Document to view the 1891 census return. With a residence of this size, nine domestic staff were required to keep the house ticking over. In addition there would be other employees to look after the gardens who probably lived elsewhere in the village and were not, therefore, included in the Free Chase census. It certainly demonstrates that there were a large number of young people whose only option was to work in service in one of the many large country houses in the locality.
Picture added on 30 July 2013 at 12:07
This picture is in the following groups