The Slaugham Archive
Barry Ray Year: 1890 Villages: Pease PottageA carriage and pair at Woodhurst
Woodhurst was built in the early 1800s and had several eminent owners during the century. One of those was Philip Rawson, a great benefactor of the Parish and who funded the building of the church at Pease Pottage, The Church of the Ascension.
A stained glass window just to the right of the altar in Slaugham church records the memory of Evelyn Rawson who died in 1871, aged 9 months, and Arthur Rawson who died in 1875, aged 2½ years.
Philip and his Irish wife, Octavia, employed five female domestic staff and a young footman, Alfred Parish, and perhaps that is him standing in the doorway. Meanwhile an elegant carriage with two men wearing silk top hats awaits the master of the house to appear.
The Large Version shows a close up of the carriage.
View Large Version
Picture added on 08 January 2014 at 11:48
This picture is in the following groups