The Slaugham Archives

1916

Horsham Road, Pease Pottage Another view of Horsham Road, Pease Pottage showing the last few houses on the eastern side. Today...
Cattle in Horsham Road, Pease Pottage There is a lot going on in the picture as the lady in the front garden watches a herd of cattle bein...
Post Office, Pease Pottage Mr Charles Songhurst ran the Pease Pottage post office during the early part of the Great War when a...
Tilgate Forest Cottage Lodge, Pease Pottage The lodge of Tilgate Forest Cottage lay on the A23 at the entrance to the training centre but was de...
Lydhurst, Warninglid The various owners of the Lydhurst estate over the years have ensured that their presence has had a ...
Lydhurst, Warninglid The great patriot and benefactor “Union Jack” Hayward took over the Lydhurst estate from his fat...
Lydhurst, Warninglid This is a closer view of the Lydhurst house showing the well tended gardens.
Blacksmith, Warninglid The blacksmith pauses for a photograph outside the smithy in The Street. The circular sign on the w...
Cyclist in Horsham Road, Handcross This is a view of Laurel Cottage in the foreground, without most of the ivy which was smothering it,...
Concert at the new Parish Hall, Handcross The Parish Hall in Handcross was built in 1916 and the first play to be performed there was Britanni...
Postcard sent during the Great War This card was posted to my great-uncle Alfred “Froggy” Gates of Tilgate Forest Row while he was ...
Woodhurst as a convalescent home During the Great War of 1914-18, Woodhurst served as a convalescent home for soldiers arriving back ...

Latest Pics

Handcross Women's Institute memories (1 of 6)A forest road in Tilgate ForestTanners Mead housing estate in StaplefieldZoar Strict Baptish Chapel, HandcrossHandcross CP school sports day 1958 (2 of 2)Handcross CP school sports day 1958 (1 of 2)New street lighting for Slaugham (3 of 3)New street lighting for Slaugham (2 of 3)New street lighting for Slaugham (1 of 3)Programme of entertainment in Handcross